Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Boys and their toys

I was lucky enough to be given a gift card to a major sporting goods retailer (okay, it was Scheels and I can spend hours there because it has Ferris wheel and animatronic presidents and guns and shoes and golf stuff and...) and even luckier to be able to go with my BILs and FIL to blow the whole card on stuff I don't need but desperately crave. Like Brawndo. However, I spent most of 90 minutes just walking around the store, looking at things that I though I wanted and then discovered, after picking them up, that I really didn't care at all about them. Then, as we were talking about where to go for dinner, from the corner of my eye, I saw it. The entire display case looked like a Zombie Apocalypse preparedness kit, and right in the bottom left corner there it was. About 3-4 years ago I had somehow been mugged and had stolen/misplaced/lit on fire my Leatherman multi-tool that I'd had for the better part of a decade. And here, sitting in front of me, for about 40% off, was a brand new sexy Leatherman that appeared to have my name on it. It was like Christmas all over again. Except it really was Christmas, so that would be redundant. Either way, I was all over that like a fat kid on pancakes. I probably pulled that knife out of my pocket in the movie theater a good 20 times just to open it and play with it. Even better, in the two weeks I've had it, I keep looking for opportunities to use it. For example, I just discovered I can pluck offending nose hairs with the needle-nosed pliers on my Leatherman. See?! It just keeps getting better! Multi-tool and personal grooming device all in one!
Now, I'm sure that I look like "that guy" because I have my Leatherman in my pocket (and the pinup tattoo on my forearm probably doesn't help) but I'll admit that knowing I can change the thermostat on your car in 12 minutes with just what I have in my pocket certainly makes me think I'm probably less likely than you to be eaten by a wild boar. Just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment